Thursday, July 25, 2019

Quatrains (10) , Drunk. - Rumi-



Quatrains (10) , Drunk.

- Rumi-

My tongue is parched, though I've drunk myself senseless.

I haven't heart nor head; nor patience, nor peace of mind.
My tears fall, bewildered at the thought of her, defenseless.
Saghi, please, do me a favor -- bring me some more wine.

*

You can't get drunk on the wine of her eyes,
You can't bury your hands in her hair.
Your enemies taunt you, night and day:
'You waste away, and still she doesn't care.'

*

We are drunk on the essence without even tasting the wine,
Filled with light in the morning, and joyful into the night.
They say our path leads nowhere--that's alright:
There's joy enough right here to fill all time.

*

Listen only to what drunken lovers say,
And loosen passion's ties to mean and low.
Each tribe draws you into its own circle;
The parrot sings of sugar; of ruins, the crow.

*

All day, Saghi, I was drunk on you.
God knows, all day I waited for you.
Give me the wine, let the world keep its traps.
I stalked you all day, tonight I will too.

*

Today I'm going for a drunken stroll.
I'll search the town for a rational man,
Pour him a drink from the bowl of my skull,
And turn him into a crazy fool.

*

Drunk, I asked my teacher, "Please, I need to know
What it means to be, or not to be."
He answered me, said, "Go!
Relieve the suffering of the world and you'll be free."

*

Was such a drunk ever seen in the tavern of love,
Or such broken and shabby old vats to hold the wine?
The courtyard's awash in wine, overflowing the sky --
Was such a full cup ever seen in a drunkard's hand?

*

I hear the song of a drunk nightingale,
And the voice of a temptress on the wind.
I see my love's illusion on the water,
And that flower I smell, I know it well.

*

Each day my lover comes again. She's drunk,
The cup of passion's riot in her hand.
If I take it, reason's flask will break.
If I don't, how can I let go her hand?

***


No comments: