Monday, May 13, 2019

A Candle in the Heart - Rumi -


There is a candle in the heart of man, waiting to be kindled.
In separation from The Beloved, there is a cut waiting to be stitched.
O, you who are ignorant of endurance and the burning
fire of love----
Love comes of its own free will, it can't be learned
in any school.
*
With the Beloved's water of life, no illness remains
In the Beloved's rose garden of union, no thorn remains.
They say there is a window from one heart to another
How can there be a window where no wall remains?
*
There is some kiss we want with our whole lives, 
the touch of spirit on the body. 
Seawater begs the pearl to break its shell.
And the lily, how passionately it needs some wild darling! 
At night, I open the window and ask the moon to come and press its
face against mine. 
Breathe into me. 
Close the language- door and open the love window. 
The moon won't use the door, only the window.
*
This world is no match for your Love.
Being away from you is death aiming to take my soul away.
My heart, so precious, 
I won't trade for a hundred thousand souls.
Your one smile takes it for free.
*
This is how it always is when I finish a love poem.
A Great Silence overcomes me,
and I wonder why I ever thought to use language. 
I don't want learning, or dignity, or respectability. 
I want this music, and this dawn, 
and the warmth of your cheek against mine.

**



No comments: