Monday, May 6, 2019

Quatrains (1) - Rumi -

You're the road of love, and at the end, my home,
One of the crowd, and yet I see you crowned;
I see you in stars, in the sun, in the moon,
Here in the green leaves, and high on the throne.
*
If I die in this war, this combat with you,
I won't so much as sigh, for fear of troubling you. 
I'll die with a smile, like a flower in your hand, 
From the cruel charm with which you cut this wound. 
*
You, who make all my hardship easy
And the garden, trees, flowers, drunk with your gifts;
The rose is drunk, the thorn is lost in dream;
Pour one more cup, they'll join in your wine's stream.
*
If you don't heed my call and answer me
With joy, with the wine of your words, who will? 
Shepherd of the world, refuge of the soul, 
If you don't keep us from the wolf, who will
*
You could string a hundred endless days together,
My soul would find no comfort from this pain. 
You laugh at my tale? You may be educated 
But you haven't learned to love till you're insane
*
My moon, without you I wept like a cloud.
Without you, I'm wounded, worn out and lonely. 
Banished from life, to sit here without you, 
I've died of the shame of living without you. 
*
My life is lost, my world is lost - all lost.
O moon, I've lost the earth, the sky - all lost. 
Don't pass the wine, just pour it in my mouth. 
I've lost the very way to my own mouth. 
*
What is sadness, that settles like dust
On hearts that are bitter and burdened? 
The heart that holds God holds an ocean 
Whose joyous waves make the earth turn. 
*
May grief and sadness come to the unfaithful heart,
And in this world may betrayal play a smaller part. 
Sadness is the only friend who stays with me, still true, 
And for that, loyal sadness, a thousand thanks to you. 

**

No comments: