Friday, May 10, 2019

Quatrains (4) - Rumi-


The many sighs your loss has dragged from me
Can only gratify my enemy.
Soul of my world, the pain of your going
Breaks my heart without yours even knowing.
*
No way can I take back my heart from you;
Better then surrender it unto
Your passion, ease your aching love - if not,
What use is it, why even have a heart?
*
Tonight, when love's sorrow is forever and ever,
And the ruby wine is my strength and pillar,
The law prescribes pain and contemplation.
Food and sleep and passion are forbidden.
*
Excuse me if my cries fill the sky.
Excuse me if I flood the plains with tears.
You're my life, and I'm running for my life.
Excuse me if my life drags in the rear
*
When I grasp hold of your hair, I'm in hell,
And those who dwell in heaven I despise,
As if my heart were brought to heavenÇs meadow
But found that field too tight for it, too narrow.

**

No comments: